Meeting Minutes

Minutes from the Marche of Alderford business meetings.

Minutes from 2004-12-07 Business Meeting

Baroness Catriona offers these Minutes from Alderford's December 7 business meeting.

In Attendance: 18


  1. Exchequer: Lord Hugh sent a message saying that there was approximately $3396.23 in the treasury. Pass the red hat collected $29.
  2. Herald: Lady Faqita reported that last week’s hands on heraldry workshop got a lot of people started on device and name.
  3. MoAS: Lady Aileen passed the list for people to write what they have been doing. She is planning a to resume classes after the holidays.
  4. Knight Marshal: Lord Einar reported that he had been in contact with Dan concerning the use of St. John’s Fellowship Hall for winter fighting practices. Details are being ironed out. He has sent in his Domesday report and Alderford has 9 authorized fighters.
  5. Rapier Marshal: Lord Gabriel was not present.
  6. Archery Marshal: Forrester Offria has sent her report in on time. There is an Archery practice planned for Dec. 10th at Hadley’s in Green, OH. Corner of Rt 619 and Main. The cost is $5.50/hour. Offria requested that the group purchase two loaner bows. After a short discussion the proposal was voted on and passed. On January 22 there will be a St. Sebastian Day celebration by the Gwyntarian Archer’s Guild at Offria’s home. It is a carry in dinner.
  7. Thrown Weapons Marshal: Lord Quentin was not present due to work schedule.
  8. Chatelaine: Lady Maerwynn reported that donations to Gold Key are a wide variety of types and sizes. She is wanting to step down, but her deputy is unable to take over. Lady Suzanne volunteered to become chatelaine. Hoobah!
  9. Demos: A reminder was given that Colin would like us to do a demo for his Boy Scout group. A date has yet to be chosen. Baroness Catriona requested a fighting demo for a class she is teaching in March.
  10. Web Minister: Maistor Iustinos reported that the upgrades will be made soon. He is waiting on the new server to be ready. There should be 3 times the performance and lots more space. The photo album is working on the test site and he plans to redesign Alderford’s home page.
  11. Chirurgeon: Justin reported that the corporate level chirurgeon’s newsletter is again being published in a PDF format. He has an article called "How to Train Apprentice Chirurgeons" appearing in the recent issue. Feketa should be a warranted Chirurgeon by the next meeting. Hoobah!
  12. Chronicler: Catriona has a Domesday report due this month. She is looking for articles. The newsletter is being sent to those who do not attend the meetings.


  1. Cook’s Guild TH Lady Francesca has run away to the Caribbean, so no report ;-)
  2. Performers’ Guild: Still on hiatus.
  3. Armorer’s Guild: Call Sergeant Garth for details. Offria has offered her horse as a model for horse armor.


  1. Masque of Courtly Love VII
    1. The ad is in The Pale. Her Highness, Princess Noelle, will be in attendance. TH Lady Ailith will be Royal Liaison. Lord Brice will be getting together with staff individually.
    2. Class Coordinator Catriona reported that five classes are secured but more instructors are needed.
  2. Oaken Melee School- 2005
    1. The date is secured on the Kingdom calendar. It will be held at the Roswell Primitive Camp.
    2. Please volunteer to help!
  3. Sewing Bee: One was held Monday, Nov 29th. Suzanne worked on her garb. Plans were tabled about scheduling a new one until after the holidays.
  4. Library Demo in the Summer: TH Lady Milica has contacted Lord Aidan concerning the possible demonstration of the greyhounds.
  5. Hall of Fame Parade: No news


  1. Storage of Wooden Castle needs to be inside not in Justin’s side yard. Lady Katya offered her garage.
  2. Barony of Brendoken
    1. There are job openings: Exchequer and Chatelaine
    2. Please contact Brice if you are interested
    3. A holiday greeting from Alexander and Catriona, Baron and Baroness Brendoken, was read aloud.
  3. Alderford gave a loud and enthusiastic Thank You to Einar and Maerwynn for hosting the holiday revel. It was a BLAST!
  4. There is NO MEETING on Dec 21st. However, Ceit mentioned that there was a Solstice Party at the Houston-Brumbaugh Nature Center. Contact Ceit for details.
  5. The meeting was adjourned and a social time was had by all.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Catriona nicHugh Mclaey.

Nota bene: The above Minutes have been edited for web formatting and to correct minor typographical errors, but have not been modified in substance. —Justin

Minutes from 2005-02-01 Business Meeting

These are the minutes of the February 1 shire business meeting. These will appear in the February issue of the Alder Leaf.

Alderford Business Meeting
February 1, 2005


  1. Thistle is holding fighter practices at the Knights of Columbus in Medina and invite people to attend. Contact Baron Alexander for details.


  1. Exchequer: Lord Hugh the Silent reported a balance of $2309.43. $44 was collected in the kitty.
  2. Herald: Lady Feketa Rosa reported that names and devices are pending.
  3. MoAS: Lady Aileen was ill and did not attend. Baroness Catriona will be teaching a class on Period Board Games at the next meeting, Feb 15. It is a hands-on workshop.
  4. Knights Marshal: Lord Einar reported that there would be two practices at St John’s this month, tentatively scheduled for Feb 13th and Feb 27th. The second practice will have a carry-in dinner. All are welcome to attend, even non-fighters.
  5. Rapier Marshal: Not Present.
  6. Archery Marshal: There was a good turnout at the St Sebastian Day party. There will be a practice on Feb 4th at Hadley’s from 6-8 pm in Green. Contact Forester Offria for details.
  7. Thrown Weapons Marshal: Lord Quinton was absent but sent news that nothing was happening during the winter months.
  8. Chatelaine: Milady Suzanne is now Chatelaine.
  9. Demos: THL Milica would speak on these during New Business.
  10. Web Minister and Chirurgeon: Maistor Iustinos Tekton was out of town on business and was absent.
  11. Chronicler: A plea for articles went out. Baroness Catriona had copies of last month’s missing business minutes. A new twist on an old excuse, she was quoted as saying, “The car ate them.”


  1. Performer’s Guild: In hiatus.
  2. Cook’s Guild: THL Lady Francesca reported that last month’s “East Meets West” meeting was cancelled due to the bad weather. It will be rescheduled. For the present, the guild is preparing food for the upcoming event.
  3. Armorer’s Guild: Contact Sergeant Garth for details.


  1. DEMOS: There are two scheduled for this summer. July 16 (Saturday afternoon) for the Louisville Public Library and July 22 (Friday evening) for the Stark Co. Library. Under discussion was adding 2 to 3 more. It was decided to do demos on June 13 (Monday evening) at the Claymont Library and on June 21 (Tuesday evening) at the Sandy Valley Library. Alliance Public Library is also interested in a demo, but will get back to us on a date and time. THL Milica also mentioned that the libraries would be interested in individuals doing lectures and classes.
  2. It was announced that the Brendoken activity, The Very Civil War, (previously known as Southern Aggression) would be conducted at Alderford’s Oaken Melee School event in July. This will continue for the foreseeable future.
  3. March 6 (Sunday afternoon) is tentatively schedule as Inventory Day!!!! Details to be announced.
  4. BRENDOKEN The Barony is looking for bids on a baronial championship event for this coming up fall. These are to be submitted to Lord Brice as Baronial Seneschal. For the next two months the meetings will be held at The Mill in Smithville, Ohio. The Barony is soliciting bids for leather coronets. These bids are submitted to Lord Brice as the Officer of Regalia.
  5. Magician’s Guild: Lord Varden wants to create a guild for magicians. If you are interested, please contact him.


  1. No news on the Hall of Fame Parade Demo
  2. Masque
    1. There will be a staff meeting on Monday, February 7, at Scott and Kathie’s house starting at 7 pm.
    2. Autocrat, Lord Brice, reported that things are doing well
    3. Volunteers are needed for Security, Clean up in the kitchen, Tear down of the site, and Servers. A volunteer is especially needed to back up Lady Nastasia as Troll.
    4. There is a waiting list for Merchants. THL Milica has contacted the merchants interested in attending to get confirmations. There are a total of 10 merchant spaces available.
    5. There will not be any Children Activities planned, though there will be a Children’s area with materials available, but parents are expected to supervise their own offspring.
    6. HRH Noelle will be attending the event. There will be a Regency Court. Get your recommendations in NOW! Lady Anne of Dragonhurst has volunteered to decorate the Royal Presence area and high table.
    7. The church was paid last week, and we should be able to get in to set up on Friday night.
    8. The Klingons will be serving lunch, and feast will serve 80 people.

The meeting was adjourned and a social time was had by all.

Catriona, Baroness Brendoken, respectfully submits these minutes.

Minutes from 2005-03-01 Business Meeting

These are the Minutes from Alderford's March business meeting, held March 1.

    1. Several event announcements were passed around.
    2. There were 22 gentles attending.
    1. Exchequer: Lord Hugh the Silent reported a balance of $3975.84.
    2. Herald: Lady Feketa Rosa reported that nothing new has been happening.
    3. MoAS: Lady Aileen was ill and did not attend. A suggestion was made to have a class on Court Etiquette and Identification of Crowns/Coronets at the March meeting. In April, since camping season will be starting, there will be mini classes on various aspects of SCA Camping.
    4. Knights Marshal: Lord Einar stated that indoor fighter practices at St John's depend on Lord GuyJacques and available dates. Practices will be announced on the e-list.
    5. Rapier Marshal: Lord Gabriel announced that rapier practices would be held at the same time and place as the fighting practices.
    6. Archery Marshal: Forester Offria was absent. There will be archery practices at Hadley’s from 6-8 pm on Friday nights. Contact Forester Offria for details.
    7. Thrown Weapons Marshal: Lord Quinton was absent but sent news that nothing was happening during the winter months.
    8. Chatelaine: Milady Suzanne reported that Shannon and Jason had a wonderful time at the event and may return.
    9. Demos: THL Milica asked that someone volunteer to coordinate the numerous demos coming up. Lady Ceit and Milady Suzanne volunteered for the job.
    10. Web Minister: Maistor Iustinos Tekton is in the middle of processing the photos from the Masque event. All the photos now on the web site will be moved to a personal site. He asked that people please update their personal accounts on the Alderford web site.
    11. Chirurgeon: Maistor Iustinos Tekton reported that Lady Feketa Rosa was the Chirurgeon in Charge at the Masque of Courtly Love. She did a fine job! The 1st quarter report has been sent in.
    12. Chronicler: Baroness Catriona pleaded for articles to be sent to her so that they may be published in the next newsletter. Chocolate is promised as an incentive.
    1. Performer’s Guild: In hiatus.
    2. Cook’s Guild: No news
    3. Armorer’s Guild: Contact Sergeant Garth for details. Justin suggested that Alderford host an armoring day for Marche of the Thistle's new fighters. It was suggested to talk to Garth to work out the logistics.
    4. Magician's Guild: Those interested in participating in this guild, contact Lord Vardon.
    1. Katya has chosen her SCA name: Katerina Chudnaya, with a nickname of Zabava. Hoobah!
    2. The Masque of Courtly Love event
      • Lord Brice/Autocrat
        1. Thanks to all the staff and to those who helped.
        2. We may be outgrowing the site
        3. Feast was sold out with a waiting list
        4. All but one merchant came
        5. Closing the gym door to the populace caused a traffic flow
        6. The feast was AWESOME — Alderford has an excellent reputation for feasts. HOOBAH!!
      • Maistor Iustinos/Marshal in Charge
        1. Deep thanks to Einar, Garth and Morgan
        2. William from three Towers and Curtis (Killian) from Gwyntarian authorized.
        3. As when he was founding seneschal, Justin felt the excitement and the camaraderie from everyone. The new folks participated eagerly. He is honored to be part of this shire.
      • Catriona/class coordinator
        1. A big thanks you to the teachers. We had excellent classes
        2. A HUGE thank you to the actors of the mystery play and to Milica who wrote it
        3. Colin's dad was absolutely wonderful doing the Comedia del Arte at the start of feast. My thanks to him.
      • Feketa Rosa/Chirurgeon in Charge
        1. Thank you to the Marshals for running a safe list
        2. There were no injuries
    1. The meeting is scheduled for March 27, 2005, 2-4 PM in Smithville, Ohio
    2. A proposal for Baronial Championships in September will be looked at
    3. Baronial Tabards will be worked on in Three Towers, Sunday, February 27, 2005. This will be a work in progress.
    4. Please remember that blank scrolls are need to fill the new scroll covers that will present at Coronation to Noel and Alaric
    1. The inventory at Norma's house has been postponed. Lady Maerwynn has done the inventory of the Gold Key items already. Please fill out an inventory worksheet if you have items belonging to Alderford and turn in the finished worksheets to Justin.
    2. Showcase: Catriona is able to go to the meeting with librarians in Newcomerstown on March 8th. Milica has sent flyers with general SCA information and contact information for the groups in the surrounding areas to be available for the librarians' use.
    3. Stark County Library Demo July 22 in St Peter's parking lot
      1. Friday night from 6-9 pm.
      2. 2 heavy fighting demos, 2 dance demos, clothing time line
      3. Active games and activities in stations—as at Ohio Mart
      4. Sample foods: keep it simple/pretzels, honey stix, wafers, Sekanjabin,
      5. Expect 600-900 people
      6. Staff members offered to help
      7. There is the possibility of a grant for a large tent
      8. Indoor site is St. Peter's hall
    4. Everyone, please look for the fittings and the bungee cords for the plastic garage tent. They have been missing since Winding Down from War.
    5. The meeting was adjourned and all had a social time.

    Catriona, Baroness Brendoken, respectfully submits these minutes

Minutes from 2005-07-19 Business Meeting

Minutes from the July 19 business meeting of the Marche of Alderford.


5 interested gentles attended and introductions were made. There were about 25 gentles in attendance.



Lord Hugh the Silent reported a balance of $4391.28. $55 was collected in the kitty.


Lady Feketa Rosa reported that not much was new.


Lady Ceit asked those who had done activities to write them down.

Knights Marshal

Lord Einar reported that there would most likely not be a fighter practice before Pennsic.

Rapier Marshal

Not Present

Archery Marshal

Not Present

Thrown Weapons Marshal

Not Present


Milady Suzanne reported that Gold Key was used at the Oaken Melee event. She purchased supplies to make bookmarks for the recent demos.

Demo Coordinator

Lady Ceit reminded the group that Alderford has 3 library demos to go. July 22 at the Downtown Canton Library, July 26 at the Tuscarawas Library in New Philadelphia and the Alliance Library at Glamorgan Castle grounds on July 28.

Web Minister

Maistor Iustinos reported that photos are online at New members were urged to join the list serve and register at the Alderford web site.


Lady Feketa was happy to report that there were no injuries at the Oaken Melee event and one injury to treat at the Louisville Library demo. Justin was happy to report that he had renewed his EMT certs. Milica proudly showed her First Aid and CPR card.


A plea for articles went out. Baroness Catriona promised good chocolate to those who submitted articles.


Performer’s Guild

King Lear in a Box will be performed on July 23rd at Lady Katryn’s home starting at 7 PM. Please bring munchies if you are so inclined.

Cook’s Guild

THL Francesca reported that over 500 cookies were baked in preparation for the demo on July 22nd.

Armorer’s Guild

Contact Sergeant Garth for details.

Magician’s Guild

Lord Vardon was not present.


The Barony has changed the meeting schedule. There will be a business meeting once a quarter. A social activity will be planned for a different date once a quarter, also. Volunteers to be retainers for the Baron and Baroness are being sought. Please contact Lord Brice or Lady Debforgail is you are interested.


Discussion of the Alderford Christmas party. Justin suggested 91 Wood Fired Oven as a site. The group agreed and Justin will make a reservation for December 12th at 7 PM.

There is a household in Tuscarawas County near Newcomerstown. They are interested in perhaps starting an SCA group there. A discussion followed concerning ceding a new SCA group Tuscarawas County, as it now is part of Alderford. It was decided that if the group became a viable shire there would be no objection in giving the land rights to them. It was further decided that Alderford would offer to sponsor the new group, should the need arise.

Sergeant Einar and Lady Maerwynn volunteered to host the Alderford Birthday Celebration at their home on the weekend of September 24th. Details will follow.

Milica announced that she plans to step down from the office of Seneschal after this year’s Domesday Report in January 2006. She requests that interested parties send her a letter of intent by the first week of September.


The group purchased a shelter/garage tent.

Justin purchased 7 CB type radios. These were different from the radios previously discussed, but will suit our purposes better. There was an overage in the budgeted amount and the group decided to authorize payment for this overage.


Activities for the remaining 3 demos were discussed. July 22nd’s demo starts at 6, set up will be prior to that. Park in the staff parking lot. A list of tentatively scheduled activities has been posted to the list. The July 26th demo in New Philadelphia will be small. The time is 2-3 PM. The Alliance demo is on July 28th from 7-8:30 PM. A schedule of activities has been posted on the e-mail list. A reminder was given concerning the Gwyntarian demo on July 30th in Hudson, Ohio. The demo is from 9 Am to 4 PM. Our help is requested.


The autocrats are still working on obtaining a site. Several places have not yet returned calls.


Milica sent notice cancelling our participation in this year’s parade by e-mail, phone and letter. There has yet to be a response.

There is a meeting on August 2 at Walsh College, starting at 7:30 PM. The next August meeting will be a revel and welcome home from Pennsic on August 23rd at Justin and Milica's home. Details will be posted on the list.

The meeting was adjourned and all had a social time.

Catriona, Baroness Brendoken, respectfully submits these minutes.
Justin, Web Minister, edited for web format (added/reordered headings)